Thursday, January 24, 2008

Idiots who disable right click on their websites

You've probably encountered websites that some misguided person wrote who thinks that he/she can "protect" his/her content by simply disabling your ability to use YOUR browser's context menu. This drives me nuts and I tend to immediately leave any website that automatically assumes I'm there to steal their content. In the past I've also taken to emailing the admin or site owner and informed them of two things:
1. I will never return to their site or use their service if they have right clicking disabled because I don't like being treated like a thief.
2. I can easily defeat their attempts to prevent me from right clicking by simply turning off javascript.

Of course, most emails I send are ignored (idiots don't like being shown that they are as much), but every once in a while people actually thank me for sending them an email and remove the right click disable script from their website.

Anyhow, I recently ran across a useful article that has a script that allows you to bookmark it and simply click it anytime you need to disable a "right click disable" script. It's located here:

http://javascript.about.com/library/blright.htm

Very useful. Thanks Stephen!

No comments: